Jack and Jill Windmills Society - Registered Charity No:1118285

Who lived around the mills years ago ?
Open Days and Mid-Week visits
Current and Archive Photographs
Links to Windmills in Sussex and further afield
Details of Society Membership and activities
Contact Us
Site Map

IL 1831

Website Design : Simon Potter & Kevin Crampton

In the 1881 and 1891 Census Returns "Mill Lane Cottages" housed the Miller's employees and their families.

In 1901 Cottage One is let to a Night Watchman (Road Drains) his family of six and a boarder (Navvy on Road Drains).

Cottage Two is occupied by a Farm Labourer, his wife and their six children.

We have now traced those who lived and worked at the Mills from 1841 to 1901.

The death of Queen Victoria in January 1901 marked the end of the Victorian Era, also a decline in the fortunes of wind-powered corn mills. Within five years the Clayton Mills ceased production as steam power had been found to be more dependable than the vagaries of the wind.

By 1911, the next Census, both the Clayton Mills were owned and cared for by Captain Walter Anson (R.N) and his wife Minna.

So, we might say, the story of those who worked the Mills so long ago ends here.


Jill Windmill is normally open to visitors on most Sundays from May to September

Old Photo Old Photo